Actica is currently recruiting for the role of Business Consultant.
|Location:||UK client’s sites – Guildford Base Office|
|Job Type:||Full Time, Permanent|
|Industries:||UK Public Sector / Defence / National Security / Private Sector|
|Grade/s:||Consultant / Senior Consultant / Principal Consultant|
|Salary:||Negotiable + Biannual Bonus (Biannual Pay Review)|
|Switches to annual pay review at Principal Consultant grade and above.|
|Holiday:||25 Days Annual Leave + Public Holidays|
The Business Consultant role provides you with the opportunity to support a wide range of UK public sector, Defence, National Security and private sector organisations. Your help will enable them to optimise their business processes, plan effectively for the future, secure benefits from programme and project delivery and maximise their return on investments in technology and facilities.
Your level of experience will determine the amount of responsibility given to you. As a result the role may require you to lead assignments and be responsible for supervising direct reports whilst ensuring the overall success of the engagement. Our position as a client side advisor means that this role requires significant stakeholder engagement, dealing directly with the client, including in resolving day-to-day issues involved in assignment delivery and developing follow-on opportunities. Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills are essential!
You will have the opportunity to further your career in business and technical consulting, specialising in the application of a broad range of methodologies and technical specialisations.
A career mentor will be on hand to provide support and guidance throughout your journey with Actica. You will also work with a performance and development manager who will conduct six monthly reviews to set career objectives and identify training courses which are both relevant to your current project work, and aligned with your planned career progression.
We provide substantial training, including online, classroom and in-house courses, leading to nationally recognised qualifications in relation to specialisms such as Programme and Project Management, Business Change / Transformation, Agile Delivery and Procurement, Security Assurance, Governance, and Technology Procurement.
Over time you may be given the opportunity to specialise and take on more responsibility in areas such as: Cyber Security, Enterprise Architecture, Service Management, and Business Change.
Working either individually or as part of a larger Actica team, you will undertake consultancy assignments that could include:
- Delivering business cases in accordance with the green book five case model and supporting the client in gaining the necessary approvals;
- Developing strategies for future delivery of services to meet the client’s business needs, in accordance with their wider business strategies;
- Supporting large technology procurements and investments in new facilities, including developing procurement documentation and evaluation strategies and evaluating bids;
- Defining and managing benefits, benefits measures and Management Information, to allow clients to track return on investment in business and financial terms;
- Producing User and Service Requirements Documentation;
- Delivering concept phase, options analysis and investment appraisal products, including cost models.
- Providing client-side assurance that proposed technical solutions to business problems are fit for purpose;
- Acting as Product Owner / Lead User on behalf of clients – providing suppliers with an authoritative business view;
- Delivering business change / transformation products, including stakeholder engagement management plans; communication plans and products; training needs analyses and training packages.
Qualifications and Experience
Experience within the UK Public Sector is desirable, preferably within business areas, programmes or projects with a direct link to technology. The fast-changing nature of the ICT environment together with the need to resource multiple, ad-hoc assignments also requires the individual to be intellectually agile, proactive and self-motivated – with the ability to apply a structured approach to often unfamiliar subject matter.
Experience in the application of a number of the following would be desirable:
- Business or systems analysis methods and tools, e.g., BPMN, UML;
- Agile and Lean standards, methodologies and approaches, e.g., Scrum, Kanban, GDS Service Manual;
- Programme and Project Management methods, e.g., MSP, PRINCE2, DSDM, Scaled Agile Framework;
- Public sector best practice guidance, e.g., ITIL, OGC toolkit, Better Business Cases;
- Standard methodologies for:
- Requirements capture and analysis;
- Feasibility studies and business case development;
- Cost modelling and investment appraisal;
- Procurement and Contracting Strategies.
The nature of Actica’s business means that a wide and varied background is preferable and the capability to adapt quickly to change is always required.
You may not feel that your skills precisely match the requirements of this job specification; however, we encourage you to apply if this is a role that appeals to you. We require individuals with a broad skillset, so there may be other aspects of your experience which are equally important to us, but that are perhaps not listed in the role specification above.
Actica aims to nurture a diverse workforce through inclusive working practices, promoting equality in our recruitment activities, and by employing candidates on the basis of merit. Discrimination against individuals on the grounds of protected characteristics is not permitted and we take steps to ensure that our staff are made aware of their legal responsibilities when making hiring decisions.
We are keen to improve diversity within our organisation and the industries in which we work, and hope to employ individuals who share that view.
While Guildford is our home base, consultants typically spend their time working remotely. For most clients, consultants spend 2-3 days working remotely and 2-3 days co-located with colleagues at a client’s site or our office in Guildford. For some projects, there will a requirement to work up to 5 days a week co-located with colleagues. All work is team based, with a high level of engagement with other Actica and client team members. Consultants are encouraged to get involved in internal activities and to attend company team events whenever possible.
Candidates must be eligible and willing to gain UK Security Clearance to apply for this position.
To apply, please follow this link, alternatively, follow the instructions on the apply to us page.