User Research Consultant
|Location:||UK Clients sites - Predominantly along the M4 corridor|
|Job Type:||Full Time, Permanent|
|Industries:||UK Public Sector and Defence|
|Grade/s:||Consultant / Senior Consultant / Principal Consultant|
|Salary:||Negotiable + Biannual Bonus (Biannual Pay Review)|
|Switches to annual pay review at Principal Consultant grade and above.|
|Holiday:||25 Days Annual Leave + Public Holidays|
The User Research Consultant role provides you with the opportunity to support a wide range of UK public sector and defence organisations. Your help will enable them to get the maximum benefit from their ICT investments and support nationally critical projects.
Your level of experience will determine the amount or responsibility given to you, as a result the role may require you to lead assignments and be responsible for supervising direct reports whilst ensuring the overall success of the engagement. You will be involved in the production of high quality, formal deliverables and will review formal deliverables developed by others. Our position as a client side advisor means that this role requires significant stakeholder engagement, dealing directly with the client, including in resolving day-day issues involved in assignment delivery and developing follow-on opportunities, so excellent interpersonal and influencing skills are essential.
You will be expected to produce high quality, formal deliverables and review deliverables developed by others. You are likely to undertake significant stakeholder engagement, dealing directly with the client. You will have responsibility for resolving day-to-day issues involved in assignment delivery and developing follow-on opportunities.
You will typically work on the client’s site co-located with other project members, who may include the client’s own staff, Actica team members and other suppliers.
Due to the nature of customer side working, regular travel within the UK should be expected. The base office is in Guildford but you should expect to spend the majority of your time working on client sites.
You will have the opportunity to build a career in consulting, specialising in the application of a broad range of methodologies and technical specialisations to a wide range of business problems. We provide substantial training, including online, classroom and in-house course provision, leading to nationally recognised qualifications in relation to specialisms such as Project Management, Agile, Service Management, Enterprise Architecture, Security Assurance, Security Architecture, Governance, and Technology Procurement. We provide structured career development pathways to help you gain responsibility and influence.
Actica is looking for a talented and enthusiastic user researcher who will support us to build our internal user research capability. Additionally, working either individually or as part of a larger team, you will contribute to user research during all phases of Agile Delivery. You may also be required to prepare for assessments against the Government Digital Services Digital by Default standard. Your work at Actica will also include responding to tenders.
This role will require you to:
- Develop user research approaches and plans for user bases including civil servants, police officers, military personnel, 3rd party agencies and suppliers as well as citizens;
- Work closely with the wider Actica team to plan and execute work packages throughout the delivery lifecycle;
- Engage with customers, helping them to understand the benefits of user research;
- Lead or support the user research activities within Government digital projects.
You will be a critical thinker, able to interpret the findings of your user research to make design/business recommendations that support the overall business objectives of the project or programme. You must also be confident in presenting user needs to senior stakeholders, and for acting as an advocate for those needs both within the team and the department at large.
Qualifications and Experience
Experience within the Defence Enterprise and /or UK Public Sector is desirable, preferably within the ICT context on enterprise solutions. The fast moving nature of the ICT environment together with the need to resource multiple, ad-hoc assignments also requires the individual to be intellectually agile, proactive and self-motivated – with the ability to apply a structured approach to often unfamiliar subject matter.
It is essential that the candidate has proven experience of:
- Working in an agile development environment;
- Engineering user requirements;
- Managing, executing and analysing usability test sessions;
- Audience modelling and developing design personas;
- Working on projects with complex user journeys;
- Working within the Government Digital Services Digital by Default Standard;
- Leading small teams;
- Eliciting and analysing user needs;
- Supporting the development of prototypes;
- Planning, designing and conducting usability testing sessions to support the design and development of services;
- Responding to tenders.
It is desirable that you:
- Have some training in human-computer interaction;
- Are skilled in using at least one high fidelity prototyping tool;
- Have some business analysis or business architecture experience.
Preference is given to candidates with a STEM based degree (2.1 or above);
Because of the nature of the Actica’s business, a wide and varied background is preferable and the demonstrable capability to adapt quickly to new developments is always required.
Candidates must be eligible and willing to gain UK Security Clearance to apply for this position.